Fried chicken is a divisive topic. Everyone has their favorite spot, their favorite piece, and their favorite preparation. Me? I head to Revival in Minneapolis. I prefer wings to legs. And waffle batter is a winner. But, we can’t all eat Southern fried chicken every day. Thankfully, we have awesomely talented partners like Nourish RDs who craft as-good-as recipes with a healthier twist. These ladies craft delicious recipes that focus on healthy and sustainable eating. On a day like National Fried Chicken Day, that might sound like a consolation prize. But, we promise. These chicken tenders will have you adding a fourth favorite to your list of “fried” chicken must-haves. Coated with our Simply Sweeet Potato tortilla chips, these chicken tenders are baked (not fried) while still offering that satisfying crunch we all know and love from fried chicken. And the slight sweetness from the sweet potato? Dare we say, it even offers that sweetness we love so much from the waffle batter. What are you waiting for? Let’s celebrate!
Way Better Snacks Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
1 lb. chicken breast, cut into 10 strips (or 10 small chicken tenders)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 bag Way Better Snacks Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and pepper
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon wasabi powder
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Lightly grease the foil with 1 tablespoon of canola oil.
2. Empty the whole bag of Way Better Snacks Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles find breadcrumbs. Empty contents into a large shallow bowl or dish. To this bowl, also add the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
3. In another large shallow dish, add the whole wheat flour and lightly season with salt and pepper.
4. In a third shallow dish, add the egg.
5. Begin the breading process by first dipping one chicken tender in the whole wheat flour and gently shaking off excess flour. Then dip the floured chicken tender into the egg, completely coating, and shaking off excess. Finally add the chicken tender to the chip crumb bowl and gently press mixture onto both sides of the chicken tender. Gently lay each tender on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with all chicken tenders.*
6. Lightly drizzle the remaining tablespoon of canola oil over the chicken tenders, and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
7. While the chicken is baking in the oven, whisk all the ingredients for the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce in a small bowl.
8. Allow the chicken tenders to cool slightly before serving with the dipping sauce.
Tip: Use one hand to toss the chicken tender in the flour and the other to pick it up from the egg mixture. Use the first hand again (the flour hand) to press the chip crumbs onto the chicken tender. This will allow you to have one “dry” hand and one “wet” hand through the breading process and will help keep your fingers less messy.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
Chicken, Tomato, Bacon & Avocado Salad
Dips and Delights: Quinoa Berry Salad
Dips and Delights: Pumpkin Cheese Dip
Walking Tacos in the Park
Black Bean and Cheddar Dip
To the depths for Sustainable Seafood